Rapid, 15 minute Covid Antigen Test
- Make your appointment for Covid 19 testing.
- When you arrive at our location wait in your vehicle and call our office at 401-236-7258
- We will administer the Covid Antigen Test to you.
- After a quick swab from your car, results are typically available within 15 minutes.
What is the Rapid COVID-19 Test?
The Abbott rapid COVID-19 test was recently authorized by the FDA under an emergency use authorization in healthcare settings (although it has not been FDA cleared or approved). The rapid COVID-19 test provides results within approximately 15 minutes.
- The test starts with taking a swab from the nose or the back of the throat, then mixing it with a chemical solution that breaks open the virus and releases its RNA.
- Using the molecular technology from the Abbott ID NOW system, the mixture is inserted into an ID NOW box that has the technology to identify and amplify select sequences of the coronavirus genome and ignore contamination with other viruses.
Our team is well-equipped and well-trained for this method of testing, having already used Abbott’s ID NOW testing platform to perform rapid tests for flu and strep testing.
Timing matters: Being tested within the first few days of symptoms or 5-8 days after a potential exposure if asymptomatic is currently thought to provide the most accurate results. Testing too early or too late could miss the infection (a so-called “false negative” result). For example, when returning from travel, immediate testing is unlikely to give you complete information about exposure during your trip. Please also keep in mind that a negative COVID-19 test result does not necessarily override locally-mandated quarantine where these measures are in place.
Given the current case levels and testing constraints our nation is once again experiencing, we continue to urge people to follow the CDC’s guidance on how to protect yourself and others from spreading COVID-19. One Medical’s highest priority is to ensure the health and safety of our members and our communities. We will continue to work in close coordination with the departments of public health in all the markets we serve, and keep you updated on the latest guidance.
Our team is headed by a board certified emergency medicine physician with over 20 years of experience in acute and critical care. With a qualified team of practitioners with an abundance of experience in emergency medicine, critical care, urgent care, you will be in safe and experienced hands.